Oral Hygiene is important and any discomfort in one’s mouth one finds it difficult to cope up with. Also any abnormalities in the h can lead to other infections and diseases. Even mouth ulcers cannot be neglected. They may be harmful in the initial stages and if they persist the pain caused by them can be unbearable.
Mouth ulcers can cause much discomfort in the mouth. They occur inside the mouth, particularly in the cheek area. They need medical attention. In case, they remain for over three weeks they need to be medically examined, otherwise they tend to disappear naturally.
Mouth ulcers are common occurrence and irritate a lot. They are painful and the sores are white in color that is surrounded by an inflamed oriented red border.
Mouth Ulcers are also referred to as canker sores. Women and adolescents suffer from it a lot.
There are several causes of mouth ulcers which are as follows:
Causes of mouth ulcers:
- Acidic foods
- Tissue damage
- Injuries in the mouth which are minor in nature
- Hereditary factors
- Deficiency in vitamin B complex, iron, vitamin C as well as other nutrients.
Other serious health condition causes:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Bechet’s disease
- Immune disease
Here few symptoms of mouth ulcers:
Symptoms of mouth ulcers:
- Lymph modes that are swollen
Types of mouth ulcers:
- Major: These are large in size and have raised borders
- Minor: These are 2 to 8cms in diameter and are small in size. They heal up within a span of two weeks.
- Herpetiform: These consist of a cluster of small forms of ulcers. They are in the form of pin size head.
It is worth knowing more about the treatment mode of mouth ulcers. After all, one must get familiar as how these can be treated.
Treatment for mouth ulcers:
- Antimicrobial mouth rinses as well as solutions that lessen the discomfort. These remedies are prescribed by the dentist when the sores do not heal up.
- Oral steroids.
- Steroid based oral mouth washes.
- Painkillers are prescribed.
- Corticosteroid lozenges that reduce the pain and also speed up healing. These are best used when the mouth ulcer appears, but it is not advisable for children 12 to use it.
One would like to know how to prevent mouth ulcers. Here are few suggestions that one can keep in one’s mind:
Prevention of mouth ulcers:
- Avoid spicy food.
- No foods that irritate such as acidic foods and nuts.
- Have more non-acidic foods which reduce the risk of exacerbating the ulcer or it developing further.
- One experiences quite a lot of discomfort while using orthodontic devices recommended by the dentist such as making use of braces to straighten teeth.
- Nutrition based supplements when the recurrence of mouth ulcers is too frequent.
One can have more than one mouth ulcer at a time. They usually occur near the cheeks, on the tongue and the lips. They tend to grow and spread. They are red, white and yellow in color and are swollen.
Oral hygiene is important and one must ensure mouth ulcers do not become painful and very sore.
Treat mouth ulcers if persisting long and get rid of the discomfort. One must not confuse them with cold sores. Cold sores tend to begin with an itching, tingling and burning sensation around one’s mouth.
Cancerous mouth ulcer:
A mouth ulcer that lasts longer can become cancerous. It is indication of mouth cancer. The ulcers appear on and under the tongue and in other parts of the mouth.
Risks that cause cancerous mouth ulcers:
- Making use of products that have tobacco and smoking.
- Infection caused due to human papilloma virus (HPV)-the virus that is the cause of genital warts.
- Alcohol consumption.
It is, therefore, evident that mouth ulcers can be both of “light “nature or serious in nature. If they last, they must not be neglected.